NYU Langone Health
Job title: Director of Media Relations
Company: NYU Langone Health
Job description: is a world-class, patient-centered, integrated academic medical center, known for its excellence in clinical care, research, and education. It comprises more than 200 locations throughout the New York area, including , , and a level 1 trauma center. Also part of NYU Langone Health is the , a National Cancer Institute designated comprehensive cancer center, and , which since 1841 has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history. At NYU Langone Health, equity, diversity, and inclusion are fundamental values. We strive to be a place where our exceptionally talented faculty, staff, and students of all identities can thrive. We embrace diversity, inclusion, and individual skills, ideas, and knowledge. For more information, go to , and interact with us on and .
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Director of Media Relations.
In this role, the successful candidate will join the Media Relations Team within the Communications & Marketing (C&M) department. The successful applicant will lead a team focused on successfully working with the news media and internal communications partners to effectively promote NYULHs exceptional patient care across a variety of clinical specialties.
Reporting directly to the Head of Media Relations, this position will lead a team responsible for effectively promoting and reinforcing NYULH’s commitment to providing the best outcomes in clinical areas across the institution, ranging from Cardiology and OBGYN to Cancer and Neurology, among others. The successful applicant will understand institutional priorities and work effectively to lead a team, where members are assigned to certain areas, ensuring the team works effectively with department chairs and others in leadership to determine priorities within each those specialties. These will involve meeting with relevant physicians to identify compelling patient stories and working effectively and respectfully with care teams and consented families to tell those stories through earned and owned media. The Director, Clinical Media Relations will also be responsible for several clinical areas of their own, specifically Orthopedics (including Sports Medicine and the Concussion Center) as well as Rehabilitation, Rheumatology, and Plastic Surgery – also serving as Relationship Lead in these areas. The Director will play a lead role in developing a coordinated strategy to effectively share these impactful stories, including closely tracking success through media monitoring. This position will coordinate closely with Content Strategy & Development COE and Enterprise Communications COE to ensure opportunities to amplify these stories are maximized through social media, NYULH’s news website, internal communications and more. They will also work to manage agency support in clinical areas, ensuring contracted services are being fully utilized in a coordinated and effective fashion.
Specific Responsibilities Include:
Strategic Planning and Collaboration:
- Develop and implement effective and compelling media relations strategies around clinical priorities, including events and press conferences.
- Act as the relationship lead between C&M and respective service lines by acting as a trusted communications and marketing advisor that understands their visions and objectives, strategically helps them shape their agenda, and proactively deploys aligned marketing and communications tactics.
- Triage requests from clinical leaders and identify and organize teams in Brand, Experience, Creative, & Design COE, Content Strategy & Development COE, Media Relations COE, Program Measurement & Business Operations Platform, and Enterprise Communications COE, to harness the power of the C&M Community of Practice to deploy the right advisors and doers to realize service line goals.
- Oversee the team deployed to execute on service line vision by providing departmental context, clear objectives, and guidelines for executing an effective strategy.
- Act as a key day-to-day partner to service line department heads, assisting in execution of marketing and communications strategies.
- Assign and edit communications drafted by team members for distribution to news media and post to NYULH’s news site, including stories, media advisories, fact sheets, op-eds, and more.
- Develop, lead and maintain an effective and compelling media strategy for NYU Langone’s clinical areas, effectively placing meaningful stories that align with leadership priorities in earned and owned media.
- Strive for strategies that go beyond traditional media pitching, utilizing online media, video and new ways of storytelling to reach audiences earned and owned, in partnering with the Senior Director and other colleagues in C&M.
- Develop media materials, including press releases, media pitches, fact sheets, op-eds, external key messages and positioning statements for service lines for distribution to news media and to post to NYULH’s news site.
- Maintain and foster strong relationships with members of the news media, particularly in the fields of medical science.
- Ensure timely and accurate responses to media inquiries, serving as a suitable spokesperson and subject matter advisor if called upon.
- Facilitate media training, developing talking points and briefings as needed for physicians and leadership.
- Stay up to date on all developments across assigned clinical departments.
- Oversee a master calendar of all the team’s efforts, tracking progress, keeping other teams updated and ensuring deadlines are met.
- Leverage media tracking tools to measure and define success compared to other institutions in specialty areas. Also track and understand web traffic on pages that house stories created by the media team (e.g., NewsHub).
- Monitor key metrics and outcomes to gauge the effectiveness of the media relations strategy; adapt strategies based on outcomes.
- Ensure the team works respectfully and effectively with patients and their families to obtain proper consent forms as appropriate and ensure they are respected and supported in any media efforts.
- Closely track assignments, progress, and associated metrics for the team; share and update those on a master editorial calendar.
- Champion NYULH’s strong continuous improvement culture and ensure deployment of scalable, simplified, and standardized processes.
Team Building and Development:
- Manage, support, and inspire a team to maximize communications opportunities.
- Guide the team on how work gets done, set priorities, ensure standards are understood and adhered to.
- Ensure clarity for the vision of the team to help them understand their role in the overall strategy of the institution.
- Manage the allocated budget and operational forecasts of the Clinical Media Relations team, working with the Chief of Staff.
To qualify you must have a Bachelor’s degree in communications, public relations, or related field
9+ years of public and media relations experience, including proactively pitching media and issues management
3+ years of management experience building and leading teams
Strong working knowledge of promoting clinical programs
Excellent writer, editor, and verbal communicator; strong medical writing experience
Experience executing high profile public and media relations programs, both proactive and reactive
Well-versed in providing coaching and direct support to senior leadership regarding media relations strategies and work with the press
Experience with building and managing press and media relationships
Established track record of working closely with and effectively communicating to executive leadership
Excellent understanding of media relations and the media landscape in the US
Comfortable with digital content channels, including but not limited to social media
Strong PPT or Keynote user; good working knowledge of online collaboration tools
Ability to make decisions quickly within high pressure situations and react quickly and appropriately to unexpected media coverage
Strong interpersonal skills for cross-functional collaboration and ability to build strong relationships both internally and externally
Exceptional leadership skills, demonstrating the ability to influence, teach, inspire, motivate, and collaborate effectively
Proven ability to work effectively in a highly matrixed environment
Masters degree in communications, public relations, or related field
New York-specific media relations experience
Experience working with plastic surgery or related services
Bilingualism is an asset (Spanish/English)
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone Health provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you’ll feel good about devoting your time and your talents.
NYU Langone Health is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Langone Health’s EEO policies, please . Please to view the Federal “EEO is the law” poster or visit for more information.
NYU Langone Health provides a salary range to comply with the New York state Law on Salary Transparency in Job Advertisements. The salary range for the role is $138,098.48 – $230,164.48 Annually. Actual salaries depend on a variety of factors, including experience, specialty, education, and hospital need. The salary range or contractual rate listed does not include bonuses/incentive, differential pay or other forms of compensation or benefits.
To view the Pay Transparency Notice, please
Expected salary: $138098.48 – 230164.48 per year
Location: New York City, NY
Job date: Mon, 20 Nov 2023 08:30:22 GMT
To apply for this job please visit jobviewtrack.com.