Orange & Rockland
Job title: Engineer, Protective Relay Application, Substation Ops
Company: Orange & Rockland
Job description: Mission Statement
Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) employees are required to follow health, safety, and environmental policies, EEO, Standards of Business Conduct, and all other applicable company policy and procedures. We all share a responsibility to advance the company’s mission by excelling at our three corporate priorities – safety of our people and the public, operational excellence in all that we do, and ensuring the best possible customer experience.
- The Engineer will lead in the design, development and implementation of various microprocessor relay upgrade projects. A dedicated professional with continuous oversight responsibility is essential to continued reliable operations. The Engineer will travel to field locations to assist personnel in resolving issues during system outages or open auto investigations.
- Under the general supervision of the Protective System and Testing Section Manager, the Engineer will be active in and be responsible for bench testing on new microprocessor-based relay upgrades. In addition to testing, an understanding of the NERC CIP Cyber Security Standards will be required since passwords, and configuration change management tool need to be utilized. The Engineer will ensure NERC CIP password requirements & configurations are met during commissioning of new relay systems.
- Develop operational and maintenance test instructions for relays.
- Lead and develop written evaluation of system disturbances and coordination with Engineering and submit Engineering Service Request
- Develop test plans for microprocessor relays.
- Provide necessary training for relay technicians.
- Acts as technical liaison between Central Engineering and various groups Cyber Security Training Program and aspects of Personnel Risk Assessment Program.
- Develop capital project justification.
- Evaluate maintenance practices and develop more efficient and reliable methods.
- Review and comment on Engineering design concept for relays and relay upgrades.
- Industry involvement with EPRI, NATF and other organizations on relay applications.
- Develop a thorough understanding on CIP 002, CIP 007 and CIP 010.
- Ensure microprocessor relays are in compliance as CIP 002, CIP 007 and CIP 010.
- Interfaces with designated organizations and departments at O&R and CECONY, and with service vendors and contractors, to achieve sustainable compliance with NERC CIP requirements.
- Make presentations as required, and at the executive level.
- Perform other related tasks and assignments as required.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering and with a minimum of 3 years relative work experience In either relay protection or system testing
- Bachelor’s Degree In Electrical Engineering and with a minimum of 3 years relative work experience In either relay protection or system testing
Relevant Work Experience
- Requires work experience in any of the following areas: Power System, Relay Protection, Microprocessor based relays. Required
- Must demonstrate the ability to learn and apply new topics. Required
- Must have strong computer skills including Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and VISIO Required
- Must be able to deliver exemplary customer service and develop a team spirited work environment in support of Con Edison’s corporate values and mission. Required
- Must possess superior oral and written communication skills, champion change and have the ability to influence others in order to improve the management process. Required
- Must be well organized, detailed oriented, flexible to handle multiple assignments and meet deadlines. Required
- Must be able to exercise independent judgment and possess the ability to render sound business decisions. Required
- Knowledge on Protection Suite and/or various relay software. Preferred
- Acute knowledge with North American Electric Reliability Corporation (NERC) CIP Standards. Preferred
Skills & Ability
- Demonstrated analytical skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Effective interpersonal skills
- Develops and delivers effective presentations
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint, etc.
Licenses & Certifications
- Driver’s License Required
- Must work with and in the vicinity of high voltage and/or other high-energy systems
- Must use eye-hand coordination to adjust controls on equipment
Other Physical Demands
- Must be able to respond to Company emergencies by performing a System Emergency Assignment to restore service to our customers.
- Must be able and willing to travel within Company service territory, as needed.
- May require local and out-of-town travel and representation of the Company at information exchange meetings including EPRI and NATF.
- Must be willing and available to be on call, work off shifts, weekends, holidays and overtime as operating and system conditions require.
Technical Difficulty Statement
For technical issues, please contact us at
Equal Opportunity Employer
Consolidated Edison Company of New York, Inc. (Con Edison), Orange & Rockland Utilities (O&R), and Consolidated Edison Transmission (CET) are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of the individual’s actual or perceived disability, protected veteran status, race, color, creed, religion, sex, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship, domestic violence victim status, or any other actual or perceived status protected by law.
Location: The Bronx, NY
Job date: Tue, 21 Nov 2023 03:42:50 GMT
To apply for this job please visit jobviewtrack.com.