Sanctuary For Families
Job title: Senior Staff Attorney, Courtroom Advocates Project
Company: Sanctuary For Families
Job description: ABOUT US
Sanctuary for Families is New York’s leading service provider and advocate for survivors of domestic violence, sex trafficking and related forms of gender violence. Every year, Sanctuary empowers thousands of adults and children to move from fear and abuse to safety and stability, transforming lives through a comprehensive range of services. We provide a range of wrap-around services to help survivors rebuild their lives in the aftermath of abuse, and work to end gender violence through three key strategies: direct services, outreach and training, and systems-change advocacy. Our services are available in 11 locations throughout New York City.
The CAP Senior Staff Attorney trains and supervises law student advocates and pro bono attorneys who assist domestic violence victims seeking orders of protection in Family Court. The attorney provides comprehensive, compassionate, holistic legal services to victims of gender-based violence through direct representation, community education and outreach, and policy and systems-change advocacy.
- Trains and supervises law students each semester and summer associates each summer who advocate for petitioners seeking orders of protection in Family Court
- Represents victims of domestic violence in Family and Supreme Court and in the Integrated Domestic Violence Court (IDVC) in cases including: orders of protection, custody, visitation, child support, spousal support, and matrimonial matters
- Mentors and supervises attorneys, project assistants, law students, volunteers, and pro bono attorneys
- Advocates for clients in legal and non-legal forums outside of their family law cases, including housing, public benefits, and the criminal justice system
- Supervises summer interns on various projects
- Conducts recruiting presentations at law firms
- Collaborates with clinicians, attorneys, and other advocates in and outside of the agency to secure best results for clients
- Collaborates with the Family Justice Centers and conducts legal screenings
- Effects policy initiatives and systems changes that benefit domestic violence victims
- Participates in the LCADV Working Groups in the Family Court and the Integrated Domestic Violence Court
- Trains staff attorneys, law students, pro bono attorneys, community advocates, and others in family law and other related topics
- Maintains statistics relating to client services for grant-reporting purposes
- Facilitates clients’ access to intra-agency and outside resources; administers provision of direct financial assistance and donations to clients
- Represents the legal center on inter-departmental task forces and committees
- Represents Sanctuary for Families at community events
- Attends trainings on relevant legal issues
- Performs any other department or agency-related duties or special projects as directed by supervisor
· J.D. degree
· Five to seven years relevant experience preferred
· Admission to the NY Bar
Budgeted Salary: $80,000-$85,000 annually
Work position is currently Hybrid; must be able to meet job location schedule obligation
Vaccination Policy: Proof of vaccination or proof of first dose with scheduled 2nd dose within 30 days is required.
- Health, Dental and Vision Insurance
- Employer-paid life insurance
- Employer retirement contribution
- Paid time off
- Flex spending account
- Student loan assistance
- Tuition reimbursement program
- Gym reimbursement program
All qualified applicants will be afforded equal employment opportunities without discrimination because of race, creed (religion), color, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, military status, age, disability, predisposing genetic characteristics, marital status or domestic violence victim status, and other categories protected under Federal, New York state or New York city laws. Sanctuary for Families follows the requirements of the Human Rights Law including with regard to non-discrimination on the basis of prior criminal conviction and prior arrest.
People of color, trans and gender non-conforming people, people with disabilities, and survivors of gender-based violence are strongly encouraged to apply.
We recognize that the safety, healing and self-determination of survivors of domestic violence and related forms of gender violence is at the intersection of racial, gender, economic, immigrant, LGBTQ+, and disability justice, as well as many other critical issues. In order to realize our mission, Sanctuary strives to center DEI principles at every level of the organization and continues to deepen that commitment.
Compensation details: 80000-85000 Yearly Salary
Expected salary: $80000 – 85000 per year
Location: New York City, NY
Job date: Sat, 18 Nov 2023 08:45:48 GMT
To apply for this job please visit jobviewtrack.com.