Sanctuary For Families
Job title: Staff Attorney, Family Law Project, Staten Island Family Justice Center
Company: Sanctuary For Families
Job description: ABOUT US
Sanctuary for Families is New York’s leading service provider and advocate for survivors of domestic violence, sex trafficking and related forms of gender violence. Every year, Sanctuary empowers thousands of adults and children to move from fear and abuse to safety and stability, transforming lives through a comprehensive range of services. We provide a range of wrap-around services to help survivors rebuild their lives in the aftermath of abuse, and work to end gender violence through three key strategies: direct services, outreach and training, and systems-change advocacy. Our services are available in 11 locations throughout New York City.
THIS IS A HYBRID POSITION
Sanctuary for Families seeks an attorney to provide legal representation to survivors of domestic and gender based violence in family law matters in Staten Island. The areas of focus are primarily family offense, custody/visitation, child/spousal support, and divorce. The Staff Attorney will also provide civil legal screenings and legal consultations, assist pro se clients by drafting family law petitions and other filings, assist with pro se clinics, conduct community outreach and education, provide technical assistance to FJC partner agencies, and collaborate with other agencies to advocate for systemic change. The attorney will work out of the NYC Family Justice Center, Staten Island. The attorney will report to the Senior Program Director and Associate Program Director, Family Law Project at the Staten Island FJC.
- Provides direct representation and advocacy to clients in family law litigation, including family offense, custody and visitation, child and spousal support and divorces. Provides other advocacy as needed, including the criminal legal and child protective systems.
- Provides pro se legal assistance and consultations to clients regarding family law matters.
- Maintains a caseload of approximately 20 – 30 active clients per month and approximately 40 – 60 active cases.
- Collaborates with volunteers, interns and pro bono attorneys; supports training of junior staff members.
- Facilitates clients’ access to intra-agency and outside resources, and administers provision of direct financial assistance and donations to clients.
- Provides technical assistance to FJC partner agencies.
- Conducts community outreach, training and education.
- Actively engages in advocacy committees and task forces, and collaborates with other agencies to advocate for systemic change.
- Attends and participates in interagency conferences and legal/ bar association committee meetings to keep abreast of developments in the areas of pro bono, domestic violence, and legal remedies for victims of domestic violence.
- Performs any other department or agency-related duties or special projects as directed by supervisor.
- J.D. Degree
- Admission to the New York State Bar
1- 4 years of relevant legal experience* – will consider stellar Law Graduate who has sat for the Bar Exam * Strong lawyering, advocacy, and leadership skills
- Experience working in the domestic violence field
- Highly motivated to provide zealous, knowledgeable, culturally competent, and empathic legal advocacy to domestic violence survivors
- Ability to work well with people from diverse communities and backgrounds
- Fluency in a community language other than English is a plus
Budgeted Salary: $71,436 – $78,097; salary commensurates with experience based on STEP system*
$65,000/yr – $65,000/yr – Law Graduates
Work position is currently Hybrid; must be able to meet job location schedule obligations
Vaccination Policy: Proof of vaccination or proof of 1st dose with scheduled 2nd dose within 30 days is required.
- Health, Dental and Vision Insurance
- Employer-paid life insurance
- Employer retirement contribution
- Paid time off
- Flex spending account
- Student loan assistance
- Tuition reimbursement program
- Gym reimbursement program
All qualified applicants will be afforded equal employment opportunities without discrimination because of race, creed (religion), color, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, military status, age, disability, predisposing genetic characteristics, marital status or domestic violence victim status, and other categories protected under Federal, New York state or New York city laws. Sanctuary for Families follows the requirements of the Human Rights Law including with regard to non-discrimination on the basis of prior criminal conviction and prior arrest.
People of color, trans and gender non-conforming people, people with disabilities, and survivors of gender-based violence are strongly encouraged to apply.
We recognize that the safety, healing and self-determination of survivors of domestic violence and related forms of gender violence is at the intersection of racial, gender, economic, immigrant, LGBTQ+, and disability justice, as well as many other critical issues. In order to realize our mission, Sanctuary strives to center DEI principles at every level of the organization and continues to deepen that commitment.
Compensation details: 71436-78097 Yearly Salary
Expected salary: $71436 – 78097 per year
Location: Staten Island, NY
Job date: Sat, 18 Nov 2023 08:22:28 GMT
To apply for this job please visit jobviewtrack.com.