Job title: Video Engineer – Live
Job description: Company Description
NBCUniversal owns and operates over 20 different businesses across 30 countries including a valuable portfolio of news and entertainment television networks, a premier motion picture company, significant television production operations, a leading television stations group, world-renowned theme parks and a premium ad-supported streaming service.
Here you can be your authentic self. As a company uniquely positioned to educate, entertain and empower through our platforms, Comcast NBCUniversal stands for including everyone. We strive to foster a diverse and inclusive culture where our employees feel supported, embraced and heard. We believe that our workforce should represent the communities we live in, so that together, we can continue to create and deliver content that reflects the current and ever-changing face of the world. Click here to learn more about Comcast NBCUniversal’s commitment and how we are making an
Our Direct-to-Consumer (DTC) portfolio is a powerhouse collection of consumer-first brands, supported by media industry leaders, Comcast, NBCUniversal and Sky. When you join our team, you’ll work across our dynamic portfolio including Peacock, NOW, Fandango, SkyShowtime, Showmax, and TV Everywhere, powering streaming across more than 70 countries globally. And the evolution doesn’t stop there. With unequalled scale, our teams make the most out of every opportunity to collaborate and learn from one another. We’re always looking for ways to innovate faster, accelerate our growth and consistently offer the very best in consumer experience. But most of all, we’re backed by a culture of respect. We embrace authenticity and inspire people to thrive.
Peacock is looking for an experienced video engineer to join our Video Engineering – Live team delivering high-quality live video at scale within the Playback Services team. You will become part of a strong engineering culture, where the engineers collaborate with software developers, signal acquisition engineers, project/product managers, and technical architects to build and support live video workflows.
Within Playback Services, the Video Engineering – Live team builds and manages systems and workflows that deliver all live content on Peacock, including 24×7 linear streams and major live events. Reliability, quality, interoperability, and security of the content is of utmost importance. Standards-based engineering practices focus the team to deliver quality streaming solutions at scale. From ingest to captions to encoding to packaging to origin delivery, you will be part of what makes Peacock a great streaming platform.
As a member of the Video Engineering – Live team, you will play a key role in delivering the quality and reliability of the live encoding and packaging space, ensuring consistency and quality against KPI. You will build solutions, test integrations, document workflows, assist in deployments, and monitor performance, working with the technical operations group and other technical teams to ensure consistent 24×7 monitoring. You will work closely with key vendors, developing solutions side by side, and you will embrace diversity as part of an inclusive and flexible workplace.
- Using in-house and third-party tools, participate in the design, configuration and support of the live and linear video pipeline for Peacock live streaming
- Serve as a technology expert when working with technology partners, operation engineers, and vendors, implementing smart technology solutions and tools for delivering premium quality audio and video experiences
- Provide Tier 2 support for Live events and Peacock Linear channels including after hours
- Capture logs and network traffic for analysis, troubleshooting and solution design
- Help coordinate and participate in testing new solutions and workflows working side by side with CDN team, Ad Insertion team, Technical Operations team and QA team.
- Participate in POCs for emerging OTT video standards such as HDR10, Dolby Vision, low latency packaging, UHD, Surround and Atmos audio.
- Use professional experiences to optimize and troubleshoot live streams.
- Stay up to speed on new video technologies
- Work with venders on cloud-based content delivery and services
- Collaborate with other Playback Services team members to help create a team-centric culture.
- Continuously learn, improve and optimize processes and ways of working
- Minimum 2 years’ experience in the streaming workspace.
- Cloud experience related to media delivery will be strongly considered
- Solid written skills for documenting workflows, technologies and designs
- Professional experience with live streaming delivery and issues of scale for video delivery
- Solid understanding of OTT streaming protocols such as CMAF, HLS, DASH
- Understanding of video codecs such as H.264/AVC, and H.265/HEVC and audio codecs such as AAC and AVC
- Sharp trouble shooting and problem solving skills.
- Experience working with CDNs, and a basic understanding of CDN architecture concepts
- Comfort with Agile and SCRUM processes
- Knowledge of various OTT video delivery workflows such as basic networking concepts, source origination, video ingest, encoding, or packaging
- Degree in an engineering field or computer science a plus
- Experience with video capture tools such as Charles Proxy, Telerik Fiddler, VLC, and browser developer tools
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Knowledge of captioning formats such as WebVTT, CEA 608/708, SCC
- Expertise in encryption and DRM a plus
- Knowledge of monitoring tools such as Conviva, Dataminer, Mividi, Telestream, Touchstream
- Knowledge in 4K/UHD, HDR, Dolby Vision
- Ability to work independently under minimum supervision
- Effective interpersonal skills with the ability to work across multiple groups and levels in organization
- Team player with desire to collaborate and share ideas with other team members
- Strong quantitative, analytical, debugging, problem solving, and decision-making skills
- Likes to learn and apply new knowledge for overall benefit of the team
This position is eligible for company sponsored benefits, including medical, dental and vision insurance, 401(k), paid leave, tuition reimbursement, and a variety of other discounts and perks. Learn more about the benefits offered by NBCUniversal by visiting the Benefits page of the Careers website. Salary range: $130,000- $190,000
NBCUniversal’s policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, gender identity or expression, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, veteran status, membership in the uniformed services, genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. NBCUniversal will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with relevant legal requirements, including the City of Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative For Hiring Ordinance, where applicable.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you have the right to request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access nbcunicareers.com as a result of your disability. You can request reasonable accommodations in the US by calling 1-818-777-4107 and in the UK by calling +44 2036185726.
Expected salary: $130000 – 190000 per year
Location: New York City, NY
Job date: Mon, 20 Nov 2023 06:41:00 GMT
To apply for this job please visit jobviewtrack.com.