Georgia Home members honor Atlanta fireplace crews who fought blaze at high-rise

Credit score: arvin.temkar@ajc.com

Credit score: arvin.temkar@ajc.com

Jackson was joined by Rep. Lauren McDonald, who was a firefighter for 27 years and stated it was essential to acknowledge his brothers and sisters within the career.

“It offers me nice pleasure to be right here right now as one in all them and as a consultant. I’ve carried out some epic issues in my life. I received married, had a pair youngsters. I like being right here, however I really like being a fireman for 27 years,” he stated.

On the night of the hearth, crews had simply completed working a separate name after they drove by the 21-floor high-rise on Piedmont Avenue and seen the constructing was on fireplace. A video proven to Home representatives Thursday displayed heavy flames billowing from the primary flooring till firefighters snuffed it out.

“That was fairly a blaze,” Home Speaker Jon Burns stated upon watching the video. “Thanks for what y’all do. As we escape hazard, y’all run to confront hazard and shield us.”

Credit score: Arvin Temkar/AJC

Credit score: Arvin Temkar/AJC

As soon as residents had been evacuated, they had been requested to shelter in a MARTA bus as crews extinguished the flames. Temperatures that evening dropped to 13 levels.

Fireplace officers stated the blaze began on the primary flooring and prolonged to the second. The third and fourth flooring had been additionally affected by smoke. Residents who lived above the fourth flooring had been requested to shelter in place.

Six folks had been handled for smoke inhalation, together with one one who needed to be taken to the hospital.

The reason for the hearth stays undetermined.

“It’s not typically that we get to say thanks to the people who put their lives on the road day-after-day serving the folks of this state,” Rep. Gerald Greene stated. “Thank y’all.”

Author

Leave a Comment