ATLANTA — The U.S. Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, CMS or Medicare, oversees quality control for the various nursing homes and care facilities across the United States.
According to the Medicare website, the Atlanta area has 65 nursing homes, and of those, 25 have a 1-star rating when it comes to quality.
CMS describes this rating as “much below average.”
Two of the 25 1-star, “much below average” nursing homes have citations from the federal government for “abuse.”
[DOWNLOAD: Free WSB-TV News app for alerts as news breaks]
Both homes cited for abuse are in Marietta, A.G. Rhodes Cobb and the Autumn Breeze Healthcare Center. However, both of those citations come from 2022, and both facilities were fined and ordered to take corrective action by CMS.
Channel 2 Action News reached out to both companies for updates on the citation status and to see if corrective actions were taken, and was only able to get in touch with staff at A.G. Rhodes Cobb.
A company spokeswoman provided the following statement regarding the citations and corrective actions:
“As a 120-year-old nonprofit organization serving our community’s most vulnerable seniors, we take very seriously our charge of providing exceptional and compassionate care for elders who cannot be cared for at home. Following the inspection from 2022 which resulted in this community’s rating, several steps were taken including key leadership changes, increased staff training, and improved oversight of various processes. While we await CMS to conduct another inspection—which is overdue but necessary to update the community’s overall rating—our quality measures are currently above average, and we continue to prioritize the health, safety and wellbeing of those entrusted to our care.”
So, including those two locations, here are the 25 worst-rated nursing homes in the Atlanta area.
Please note the following locations are in no particular order, all have attained a 1-star overall rating, according to Medicare.gov.
- Westminster Commons on St. Charles Avenue in Atlanta
- Sadie G. Mays Health and Rehabilitation Center on Anderson Avenue in Atlanta
- PruittHealth – Virginia Park on Briarcliff Road in Atlanta
- East Lake Arbor on Fifth Avenue in Decatur
- Fulton Center for Rehabilitation on Springdale Road in Atlanta
- Nurse Care of Buckhead on Pharr Court South in Atlanta
- Healthcare at College Park on Temple Avenue in College Park
- Glenwood Health Center by Harborview on Glenwood Road in Decatur
- Sandy Springs Center for Nursing and Healing on S. Johnson Ferry Road in Atlanta
- Perimeter Rehabilitation Suites by Harborview on Meridian Mark Road in Atlanta
- Lake City Nursing and Rehabilitation Center on Rex Road in Lake City
- Arrowhead Health and Rehab on Arrowhead Boulevard in Jonesboro
- Riverdale Center for Nursing and Healing on Upper Riverdale Road in Riverdale
- Tucker Operating Company on Idlewood Road in Tucker
- Rosemont at Stone Mountain on Spring View Avenue in Stone Mountain
- A.G. Rhodes Cobb on Wylie Road in Marietta
- Autumn Breeze Health and Rehab on Sandtown Road in Marietta
- Fairburn Health Care Center on West Campbellton Street in Fairburn
- Powder Springs Center for Nursing and Healing on Powder Springs Road in Powder Springs
- Roselane Health Center by Harborview on Roselane Street in Marietta
- Marietta Center for Nursing and Healing on Kennesaw Avenue in Marietta
- Roswell Nursing & Rehab Center on Green Street in Roswell
- Ross Memorial Health Care Center on Old Highway 41 in Kennesaw
- Westbury Center of Conyers for Nursing and Healing on Milstead Road in Conyers
- Douglasville Nursing and Rehabilitation Center on Highway 5 in Douglasville
[SIGN UP: WSB-TV Daily Headlines Newsletter]
IN OTHER NEWS:
This browser does not support the video element.